The Art of James Teeple

My photo
Leicester, United Kingdom
I'm 21 / DMU Art Student / British-American.

Sunday 22 January 2012

Cool idea's that didnt work!


 This painting was an experiment of mine a few months ago. I wanted to practice lighting effects that i had never tried before, especially in digital paint as I am relatively new to it still.
I started and left this painting in one night, having decided that the pose threw off the over all image too much to be continued with. It was completely unintentional for the sword to appear phallic, having worked fairly speedily I didn't sit back and examine the position of the arms earlier enough to want to consider removing them and starting again. So i went with it and focused more and the use of colour and lighting in the image, rather than the actual composition.






It was painted it Gimp 2.6 freeware as i didn't have Adobe Photoshop at the time and have only just recently acquired a copy.


My main focus with the painting ended up being the sword, and his face. I originally wanted to convey a very menacing and agressive feeling from this character, and no face shows that more in my opinion than a snarling wolf or dogs face. So he ended up being a kind of werewolf, which was fun to do because i had never drawn one before so made it interesting blending the human anatomy with the wolf's animal fur and face.

The sword was more difficult than I had thought it might be, and gave me quite a bit of grief!
I was a complete novice when it comes to painting fire and intense flames. I game myself more difficulties with this painting by working without any reference material intially. In the end I wasn't happy with the cartoonish Red and orange flaming sword i was becoming, so i decided to opt for a more realistic look and found an image of a coal fire. This is what game me the basis for the colour pallet on the sword. Which i am quite pleased with. Although I would reduce the blue flame percentage and add more cooler flames to justify the orange highlights on the character.

I mean to do something like this all over again, and use what I learned in the making of this painting to improve upon it in the new one. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment